Reconstruction of woman's clothing from Halstatt period
Ever since I was preparing myself for my first performance as a Hallstatt weaver at a prehistoric (multi-period) event Krumbenowe, I knew that I wanted a costume different from a peplos worn by most of the women representing La Tene Celts. As the non-archaeological public is not familiar with the dating of fibulae and jewelry, I wanted to have something more different. Although no complete dress from the Early Iron Age has been preserved, we have at least an approximate idea of it thanks to so-called situla art. Back then I quickly sewed from materials I had at hand a costume that approximately corresponded to these images, but I wished to make later a more accurate reconstruction of clothing from one particular picture (of course, I chose the most complicated one!) using textile patterns from Hallstatt and other sites from the Early Iron Age.
In contrast to a straight dress reaching mid-calf and a cloak or veil of various lengths worn by most women depicted in situla art, a woman on the belt hook from Carceri wears a veil, a checkered sleeveless top, from under which protrude long narrow sleeves of an undergarment (shirt? tunic), a skirt with a decorative band at the bottom edge, and baggy leggings.
It seemed to me that the correct shapes of the top and of the leggings were most important for achieving an authentic silhouette, and therefore I started with them. I thought the top might be similar to huipil - a blouse of the Central American native women. (Only much later, after the rectangular garment had been already woven, it occurred to me that the shape of the garment no. 3 from Verrucchio might give a similar result.) The pattern of the fabric was inspired by the textile fragment HallTex181, but because my table loom (I didn't have a vertical loom yet at that time) does not allow to weave diamond twill, the fabric is in plain weave. The resulting silhouette is quite similar to the original picture (including the diagonal position of the checks). However, due to the narrow width of fabric limited by the width of my loom, the garment is too short and tends to come out of the skirt when I move my arms.
I still have no idea what the segmented thing that leads from the ear to the chin of the depicted woman could have been. Instead of it, my costume is completed by two fibulae based on the find from the Hallstatt cemetery (grave 65, period D1). Other accessories will be added later.